Thursday, November 13, 2008

Myspace Lesson

For block day, I had students create myspace pages...sort of.

I started off the lesson by asking students if they have a facebook or myspace. I asked students to volunteer what you can learn about someone from their page. Some of the ideas were basic info, friends, relationships, dialect/style of speaking, etc. We discussed how people will not necessarily represent themselves accurately. I then told my students that I would break them up into groups and that they would make a poster of a Myspace for Huck Finn at a certain point in the novel.

I actually heard students say they were excited and that it would be fun as I gave out instructions. The work they put out was AWESOME. Some students focused too much on trying to make their poster look like a real myspace (the fact that they could recall these trivial details from memory...a bit scary), but overall they were artistic, factual, and fun. They presented their posters and I graded their graphic organizers (with notes they were assigned to write and a rubric already on it) so when the lesson was over, I had no grading to do!

Overall, I had fun and they had fun. Note to myself 20 years from now: don't forget where teenagers are and try to meet them halfway. They will love you for it!

I will try to upload a picture later.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

great idea for a lesson!

JepRox said...

excellent connection!