Thursday, November 13, 2008

My First IEP Meeting

I was invited to an I.E.P meeting for a very troubled student today. I was invited about 2 minutes before it was beginning and I didn't know what to expect.

Kevin* came into my class about three weeks ago. This is his first experience out of special ed and he has struggled the whole way. He doesn't stay in his seat, he makes inappropriate comments, he doesn't do any homework, and the list goes on. I have often suspected that he was using. He has been one of my most difficult students but I have tried to praise him whenever possible. I don't know if it has been working but it seems like there is a lot of negativity in his life.

So before the meeting even really started or Kevin was greeted, the assistant principal asked for his hat. She shook her head disapprovingly and it took her several moments to acknowledge that the hat wasn't representing a sports team as she thought it would. Kevin slumped down in his chair and wouldn't look up. Then, the assistant principal listed off all of Kevin's past indiscretions-and it was a long list. The meeting continued like this, with Kevin under attack. I didn't know what to do and was unsure if I should say anything, especially since I am a mere student teacher and what I wanted to say would go against the grain. Finally, I blurted out that Kevin was doing well in my class, that he had been the hardest working student last Friday and that he had done his work on Monday. I agreed that he needed to improve, especially when it came to sitting in his seat but I looked him in the eye and congratulated him on his hard work. He looked back up at me.

I felt good as I left the meeting because I know I did the right thing. Kevin needed something positive; he needed some reassurance that he was capable of doing well and that it had been acknowledged.

Kevin wasn't necessarily a shining star in class today. He didn't offer a lot of great ideas or contribute too much work to his group as far as I could tell. But he stayed in his seat. He turned in his assignment. He didn't wander off. After I read in class and the bell rang, he went up to me and told me I was a good reader. I can't lie; it made me feel really good. I think these moments, though small and sometimes far between, are the stuff that making teaching so incredible.


*Name has been changed

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

that's good, i think you really did make a difference in there. the kid is probably so used to negative feedback! i always try to be mindful of this when dealing with troubled students and try to find ways to celebrate their success.

JepRox said...

wow! what an incredible experience that must have been for you. I'm proud of you Summ; you definitely did the right thing. I struggle to find a level ground with some of my students as well because even my praises fall on deaf ears at times. Sure, they'll make an effort here and there but consistency is non-existent.