Sunday, November 9, 2008

The First Weeks

A lot has changed since I started my clinical practice (student teaching) three weeks ago. The first lesson I taught was not one I had written and I wasn't sure how the students would react or how I would feel. However, it took me no more than five minutes until I started to flow, my shoulders relaxed, and I felt at ease. I have learned so much these past few weeks. Of course I have collected graphic organizers and studied teaching methods but most importantly, I have learned that I love teaching.

Now that I am heading into my fourth week of clinical practice, I am dreading the inevitable goodbyes. I have grown so attached to these amazing young people. They have such different past stories and different roads ahead. This past Friday, a group of girls told me Mexican legends about witches. Daniellea*, a girl who I had never seen talk or even smile, was suddenly flaring her arms and cocking her head, telling such wild, important, and personal stories.

Another student, Tim*, is failing English. He puts his head down within five minutes of every class and offers no answers or work. I asked him last week why he wasn't writing his in-class essay. I took away every excuse by giving him paper, a pen, a copy of the book, and personally discussing the prompt with him. Tim got a B on that essay. He's a really smart kid who just needed some personal encouragement.

These stories are small and works in progress. A victory on Monday is forgotten by Friday when once again Daneilla is too shy to talk or Tim is too tired to care, but I am learning that teaching takes a lot more than the standards let on. I have known these students no more than a few months but I care that they are happy and always learning. I look forward to the challenges that lie ahead but am also curious if I can keep up this enthusiasm; a lot of teachers seem to lack it and I wonder if it is something you just have or if it breaks down with every new year, every new struggle. Time will tell but I just don't want to lose it.

*Names have been changed

2 comments:

JepRox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JepRox said...

"A victory on Monday is forgotten by Friday"

this all goes back to what Jeremy said in methods the last time we met on how we have to celebrate our tiniest accomplishments and it's been a sort of mantra in my classroom as well...