Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Outside Interview

The last two weeks before spring break were awesome; I had cracked the code and solved the mystery of teaching seniors. My seniors were laughing with me, writing better, and actually reading the novel (wow!). My standing at the door and greeting them made them smile, and I was learning more about their hobbies, pasts, and aspirations.

However, spring break has come and gone. Now my juniors and seniors seem to have a case of spring fever, senioritis, and I-don't-know-what. I have noticed more attitudes and unhappiness among students. Today, as students were working on a thesis workshop, I took one student outside for an "interview." I started things off by complimenting him to set the tone positively. I then explained to him why his behavior was inappropriate. We talked some more and then I asked him how I could help him. His response was "I don't know, now you probably don't like me." This made me so sad.

"Of course I like you!" I told him! I was unsure if his confession was an act of manipulation or an admission, but I wasn't willing to risk it. I explained to him that I wouldn't take the time to talk to him like this if I didn't care. It made me sad though because I think that teaching is all about caring. If there is anything I can hang my hat on at the end of the day, it is that I truly care about my students and their successes and struggles. But I can't feel good knowing that even one student might think I don't care about him.

With that said, I am on a mission to make sure that every student knows it. I had my students write a journal describing their spring breaks (don't worry -- it was standards driven, too. They used metaphors, similes, personification, and imagery). I spent a few hours writing detailed comments on every journal. I wrote several questions as well. As I passed back the journals, many students answered my questions with excitement and enthusiasm. It worked.

Tomorrow is a new day and I cannot wait to teach: I am devoting the block day to a resume workshop! I am going to discuss some of my stories (and snafoos) with job interviews and resumes. Another way to show your students you care? Tell them an embarassing story about yourself. Hey -- at least it gets their attention.

No comments: