Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Good, the Bad, and the Very, Very Ugly

This teaching thing is hard! I had everything figured out last semester with my juniors, but some senior girls have attitudes like you have never seen! Of course, the boys are troublesome in their own ways. I just need to catch my breath and find my focus. Bear with me.

The Good:
-One student asked me, "are you going to be one of those teachers who works us bell-to-bell?" Yes. I am relieved to know that my actions alone have conveyed this.

-Today many students were shocked to receive their work back with comments -- one girl even thanked me for it. It made me feel really, really good.

-On Monday I had one of those "teachable moments." The topic of conversation veered away from what I had planned, but it was still relevant and the kids were totally engaged. It was one of those "yessss" moments.

The Bad:
-Talking! My cooperating teacher lets his students choose their seats. First period--41 students total--is always abuzz with gossip and laughter. I love that they are friends, but I cannot get them to quiet down! When I stop talking and wait, they will just keep talking or take too long to figure things out. Keeping them after class is not an option because I teach another class in a different room the next period. Today I told first period that I thought it was a matter of respect, and that since they are adults they should be respectful. It worked...okay. They are still kids in so many ways. I am thinking of a clever way to threaten them...perhaps giving them assigned seating would shake things up. It is hard doing things your way and still honoring your cooperating teacher. I cannot wait until I can set the tone in my classroom!

-I need to work on my wait time. This is nothing new. I must start pinching myself or something when I jump in. I get too excited. I am writing "WAIT TIME" on all of my lesson plans until this mission is accomplished.

The Ugly:
-Attitudes are a huge problem! A handful of students glare throughout the entire lesson. My attempts to reach out to them individually have not proved to help as of yet. Compliments and smiles are my biggest weapon right now. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I have been known to kill bad attitudes with kindness.

1 comment:

JepRox said...

My juniors are the same exact way! Funny how you mentioned "respect" because I had the same talk with my students prior to spring break. And so I should be preparing to create a social contract with them this upcoming Monday.

I've definitely improved on my "wait time." You just have to be able to stand the silence and play their game. It's more difficult for us coz as lifelong learners, we're still constantly acting like students, wanting to jump in at every opportunity we can. Eventually, we have to get rid of the training wheels, be able to let go, and let them ride the bikes on their own :)